(2) This is an endlessly evolving city - with a magnificent past, a troubled present, and a future we can only guess at.
(3) The Russian winter: get away from the greyness of western Europe.
(4) The ruble is down: this used to be an expensive city; now its museums, cafes, clubs, and bathhouses are 30-40% cheaper than 12 months ago.
5) East is East and West is West, but in St Petersburg they shall meet.
- prices from 50 euros / night (during the winter and early spring)
- discounts for artists, academics, and anyone who has a good case to argue